I saw the Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym the other day and since I have decided to start doing my workouts at home I thought it would be a good idea to see what my options were for home exercise equipment. There are many machines, weights and contraptions out there for working out in your own home. I use to own a home gym and many other pieces of home exercise equipment in the past. Some were some bad decisions that I didn’t really research. I thought I would take my time this time and figure out which one is best for me. Here are some things I found in my research about the Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym.
My Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym Review
The Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym is the most economical of the Bowflex home gyms available and is one of the most popular home gyms on Amazon. I found that there are many positive reviews about the Bowflex PR1000 home gym because of its ease of assembly and variety of exercises that you can do with it.
What should you look for in a Home Gym?
There are many aspects that you should consider when purchasing a home gym. Some of the questions people may ask are:
- How much weight or resistance does the Bowflex PR1000 have?
- What is included with the Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym?
- What exercises can you do with the Bowflex PR1000?
- How long does it take to setup the Bowflex PR1000?
- What are the space requirements of the PR1000?
- Who is buying the Bowflex PR1000 and what do they like and dislike about it?
How much weight or resistance does the Bowflex PR1000 have?
Determining the amount or resistance you need for a great workout isn’t always easy. If you are already working out then you can probably tell by how much resistance you currently use with machines at the gym. These should be comparable to the weight system of a home gym.
The unique thing about the Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym is that it doesn’t use weight plates. It uses resistance rods that it bends as you pull or push through the exercise. The resistance can be adjusted from 5 lbs to 210 lbs. This seems to be enough resistance for most of its users.
What is included with the Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym?
- Sliding Seat Rail adds aerobic rowing training for calorie-burning, cardiovascular warm-up and cool-down (also great for leg presses and seated leg extensions)
- Multi-use Hand-Grip/Ankle Cuffs designed to add flexibility and performance to any workout
- Workout Placard displays workout descriptions for easy reference while you’re exercising
- 210 pounds of Power Rod resistance
- Four-inch upholstered roller cushions for leg extension and leg curl
- Horizontal bench press
- Triple function hand grips for lat pull down
- Built-in cardio rowing machine
What exercises can you do with the Bowflex PR1000?
This is probably the most important part of selecting a home gym. If you are limited to the number of exercises you can do then you won’t be getting a total body workout and you’ll get bored very quickly.
The Bowflex PR1000 home gym is ideal for a total body strength workout and it makes use of over 30 strength exercises. There are a variety of exercises that you can do for each muscle group. Here are some of the exercises that can be done on the Bowflex pr1000.
- Chest – Bench press, decline bench press, incline bench press,
- Shoulders – Seated shoulder press, front shoulder raise, crossover seated rear delt rows, scapular retraction,
- Back – Narrow pull-downs, stiff-arm pull-downs, seated lat rows, reverse grip pull-downs, seated low back extension,
- Arms – Triceps pushdowns, triceps extension, standing bicep curls, wrist curls,
- Abdominals – Seated (Resisted) abdominal crunch, trunk rotation,
- Legs – Leg extension, calf raise, seated hip adduction, seated hip abduction, leg kickback, leg press
The Bowflex PR1000 exercises look like they can replace most exercises you would do with machines at the gym.
How long does it take to setup the Bowflex Home Gym?
Sometimes it can be a real pain to setup equipment and the Bowflex looks pretty complicated. Some people may be intimidated when it comes to buying a Bowflex PR1000 because it looks hard to setup.
Many people have commented on how easy it was to setup the Bowflex pr1000. For most people it only took 1-2 hrs but there were a few that took a bit longer. The majority had an easy time following the instructions but with everything there are always some exceptions. It is recommended that you assemble the unit in the room that you plan on using it in as it would be a pain to move after.
What are the space requirement of the Bowflex PR1000?
I’ve seen some people buy things for their house without even measuring how much room they have for them. It’s important that you have enough space not only to house the machine but to be able to use it comfortably.
The working space needed to use the Bowflex pr1000 properly is 103″ L x 80″ W and 84″ H. It may look like it doesn’t need this much room but there has to be room allowed for the rods to bend when doing the workouts. The seat rail folds up when not in use to conserve space. Depending who you are or where you have it will depend on if you can move it out of the way or not. Some people say it’s easy to move and others say it isn’t.
Who is buying the Bowflex PR1000 and what do they like and dislike about it?
Sometimes it’s nice to know if others are buying something so you know you aren’t making a mistake or it’s not some rip off scam. I have found 86 reviews on Amazon of people that have purchased the Bowflex PR1000.
Out of 86 reviews on Amazon 57% of the reviews gave the Bowflex Pr1000 a 5 star rating. 33% of the reviews were a 4 star rating and the remaining 10% rated it 3 stars or below. People seem to be very happy with their purchase.
- “Excellent piece. I am stopping my gym membership!!!”
- “It is very easy to use and gives you a great workout.”
- “I was a personal trainer for years and I would fully endorse this piece of equipment.”
- “If you have any type of background in fitness, you can use this Bowflex for many more exercises than 30 as the manual says.”
- “The 210lbs is sufficient for me (190 lb male).”
- “I was surprised on the quality of the machine. It is sturdy and very well made. After three months it is holding up as it did on the first day.”
- The PR1000 was everything I needed when upgrading from a total gym.
That’s the good about the Bowflex. Even know most of the reviews are pretty good there are some downsides to everything. I sifted through the reviews to see what limitations people found about this Bowflex Home Gym.
The Bad about the Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym
The Bowflex PR1000 home gym does have its disadvantages.
There were several people that commented on the resistance limitations of the Bowflex. Many people have commented that the 210 lbs are adequate for the average person but if you are into bodybuilding and lifting a lot of weigh then it probably won’t be enough for you. Some people with strong legs may find that when doing leg exercises there may not be enough weight. Some of these concerns can be remedied by slowing the motion of your reps on whatever exercise you are doing. By not using your momentum and focusing on slowing down your reps the weight will fell like a lot more then it is.
There are height and weight restrictions for this machine as well which would make some of the exercises unusable for some. The maximum user weight for this machine is 300 pounds or 136 kg. If you are more then this weight you would probably be needing a bigger machine with more resistance anyways. Some other users commented that they are too tall for the machine. One woman commented that her husband is 6’4″ tall and not able to do some of the exercises like squats, leg curls. At this height the squats cables aren’t long enough to stand up. Another user also commented that her husband is 5’11” and it is barely tall enough for him. Going by these comments I would be under the assumption that anyone over 6′ may have a problem getting a full range of motion out of the leg exercises.
The Bowflex PR1000 comes with a one year Frame warranty, 5 years rods warranty and 60 days parts warranty.
Where is the best deal for the Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym?
The suggested retail price of this Bowflex is $799 which is kind of steep. Most places will have it for under $500 but will also charge you over $100 for shipping. I wouldn’t pay over $500 for it. I found that the Bowflex PR1000 best price seems to be on Amazon. They have free shipping for this item so that makes it cheaper then other websites.
Where can you buy this Bowflex?
The Bowflex PR1000 can be purchased online at a variety of stores but I found that the best price is on Amazon and they also have free shipping.
Where can I find more reviews on the Bowflex Home Gym model PR1000?
If you are looking for more reviews they can be found at Amazon. There are currently 86 reviews or more about customer’s experiences with the Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym.
Go check out the Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym prices on Amazon.